Surprise Breakfast Polenta
* 3 C of milk
* 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
* 1 tsp sugar
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 C stone ground yellow cornmeal
* 1/4 C golden raisins
* 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1. Pour the milk into a saucepan and place over low heat.
2. Add 1 Tbsp of butter, the sugar and salt and stir to combine.
3. Bring the mixture to almost boiling then slowly stir in the cornmeal.
4. Cook the mixture 10 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
5. Fold in the raisins.
6. Pour the syrup into the mixture and stir to combine.
7. Spray a loaf pan with a non stick cooking spray.
8. Transfer the mixture to the loaf pan.
9. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours or until set.
10. Remove the loaf and slice to desired thickness.
11. Place the remaining butter into a skillet over medium heat.
12. Brown the slices in the skillet for 4 minutes.
13. Turn and continue cooking an additional 3 minutes or until golden brown.
This polenta makes a great sweet treat at breakfast or brunch time. Heat a little bit of maple syrup and mix in just a couple raisins before you put your fried polenta on plates, and serve with just a drizzle of your maple-raisin-syrup on top. A dab of whipping cream is always appreciated, too!
Polenta is an Italian food that is used to create dishes like the one here or ones with tomato or even cheese sauce involved. It's basically a vehicle for creating all sorts of delicious meals.