Sweet & Spicy Roasted Pecans
* 2 C pecan halves
* 2 tsp chili powder
* 1/2 tsp cumin
* 2 tsp salt
* 2 tsp olive oil
* 1/2 C beer
* 1/2 C sugar
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a large mixing bowl put the pecans, chili powder, cumin and salt.
4. The olive oil is poured into the bowl, and stir to coat all the pecans.
5. In a single layer on the prepared baking sheet place the pecans.
6. Put in the oven and toast 10 minutes or until fragrant.
7. Cool the pecans on a wire rack.
8. Put the cooled pecans and any spice that may be left on the cooking sheet in a bowl.
9. In a small saucepan pour the beer and place over low heat.
10. Stir in the sugar and allow the mixture to heat to 250 degrees on a candy thermometer.
11. Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the pecans.
12. Put a clean sheet of aluminum foil on the baking sheet.
13. Spread out the pecans breaking up any large clumps to allow the pecans to cool before serving.
Be careful... these pecans are addictive! If you love sweet candied pecans, you are going to LOVE these! The secret is the touch of hot spices to counteract the sweet. It's an incredible combination. These pecans make a great gift because they are so unique.
And what about the beer, you ask? Beer "lifts" the flavor and lightens the texture of many recipes. Think of what it does for batters, like fried fish batter. It creates a lighter, fluffier batter. This is what the beer does for this pecan recipe - the glaze is lighter.