Sweet & Tart Shrimp Apple Stir Fry
* 3 tbsp canola oil, divided
* 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and de-veined
* 2 Granny Smith or other crisp, tart apples, cored and thinly sliced into wedges
* 1 C green onion, chopped
* 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
* 1 (6 oz.) pkg. frozen snow peas, thawed
* 1/2 C cold water
* 1/4 C cider vinegar
* 1/3 C firmly packed brown sugar
* 4 tsp cornstarch
* 1 tbsp soy sauce
* 1 tsp ground ginger (or substitute 1 TBLSP fresh grated ginger)
hot cooked rice to serve
1. In a large skillet or wok over high heat put 1 tbsp of canola oil and heat until hot.
2. Stir in the shrimp and cook 2 minutes or until it turns pink, stirring constantly.
3. Remove the shrimp, place in a bowl and set aside.
4. Place another tbsp of oil into the skillet and heat.
5. Stirring continuously add the apples slices and cook 1 minute.
6. Remove the apples slices and place in the bowl with the shrimp.
7. The last tbsp of oil is put in the skillet and heated.
8. Stir in the onion, pepper and snow peas and cook 2 minutes.
9. Dump the vegetable mixture in with the shrimp and apples, toss together, and cover to keep warm.
10. In a bowl whisk together the water, vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, and ginger.
11. Pour the mixture into into the heated skillet.
12. Cook, stirring continuously until the sauce is thickened to your liking.
13. Once the sauce is thickened add the shrimp/apple/veggie mixture back to the skillet.
14. Cook 6 minutes over low heat.
15. Serve over cooked rice.
This is one of the best recipes I've come across lately for a shrimp stir fry. When I made it, the aroma was one of the things that got me hooked immediately. The combination of apples and shrimp was a surprise... I never would have thought to put those two flavors together before. It was a stroke of genius! Very very tasty!
The steps for this stir fry are so simple and fast. Be sure to have ALL your ingredients ready - clean, cut, thawed, and measured out - before you begin. That makes any stir fry a success. You especially don't want to overcook the shrimp or apples because you're busy preparing the veggies or seasonings. A stir fry should be treated like an assembly line. Be prepared and you definitely will NOT be disappointed! Enjoy!