* 2 tsp red or white wine vinegar
* 2 tsp soy sauce
* 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
* 1 medium orange, peeled and sectioned
* 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
* olive oil for frying
* 4 fresh tuna steaks
* salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and olive oil.
2. Cut grapefruit sections and orange sections in bite size pieces and add to bowl with sauce, then add the red onion, and cilantro; then set aside.
3. Prepare fish: Heat enough olive oil to fry in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add tuna steaks and cook quickly for about 5 to 7 minutes, turning once.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the fish with grapefruit-orange mixture spooned over. Makes 4 servings.
A good tuna steak should be grilled or fried quickly to maintain the pink interior. You can brown the outside pretty well, just as long as the inside is still mostly uncooked.
Good tuna also doesn't have a real 'fishy' taste - it should taste pretty clean. That's why tuna benefits from strong flavors, either seasonings or a relish such as this one. Enjoy!