Vegetable Parmesan Meatloaf
*1 slice bacon, chopped
*1 tomato, chopped
*1 carrot, chopped
*1 celery rib, chopped
*1 1/2 C French bread, cubed
*1 lb. lean ground beef
*1/2 C Parmesan cheese, grated
*1/2 C parsley, chopped
*2 garlic cloves, minced
*1/4 tsp. salt
*1/4 tsp. pepper
*1 (8 oz.) pkg. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes.
2. Drain the bacon a paper towel.
3. Add the tomato, carrot, celery and onion to the bacon grease.
4. Cook 5 minutes or until tender.
5. Stir the bacon back in with the vegetables.
6. Place the bread into a mixing bowl and just barely cover with water.
7. Allow the bread to absorb the water for 5 minutes.
8. Drain the water and squeeze out any excess water from the bread.
9. Return the bread to the mixing bowl.
10. Crumble the ground beef into the bowl with the bread.
11. Break the eggs into the bowl.
12. Add in the Parmesan cheese.
13. Sprinkle the parsley, garlic, salt and pepper into the mixture.
14. Use your hands and mix the ingredients together well.
15. Form the mixture into a square.
16. Place the loaf into a square baking dish.
17. Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
18. Using your hands for a well in the middle of the meat mixture.
19. Add the vegetables into the well.
20. Sprinkle the vegetables with the shredded cheese.
21. Press the meat back over the top of the well.
22. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes or until cooked through.
23. Let the meat loaf stand for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
If you make meatloaf often for your family, you know that it may not always be greeted with enthusiasm. When you change it up a bit with added veggies and parmesan cheese, and a little bacon to boot, your family will fall in love with your meatloaf all over again!